I managed to ignore the blog again. I'm sorry. Life has felt as though it is going a million miles a minute. I thought I would share what I have been wearing from my capsule wardrobe this winter. I am looking forward to transitioning to a spring capsule wardrobe in April. This wardrobe has been functional, but it could have been much smaller. I have learned a few things about myself in this process that I hope to be able to apply to my next capsule wardrobe.
Tuesday, 7 March 2023
Sunday, 5 March 2023
Sharing the Mental Load
Tuesday, 17 January 2023
Winter 2023 Capsule Wardrobe
I am so excited to be back into a capsule wardrobe. I have tried variations of this over the past couple years, but I have been largely unsuccessful due to an ever-changing body that I found difficult to dress. Things have begun to settle out, so I am excited to figure out what works for me in this season of my life. I am still breastfeeding, but my baby is now a toddler and requires far less feedings during the day. This gives me the flexibility to choose clothes that aren't necessarily nursing friendly because I am not planning around breastfeeding anymore.
As a reminder, in this season of life I am a stay-at-home mom of 3 kids. I live on the Canadian prairies where our temperatures get very cold. I am basically dressing for warmth and comfort.
My 2023 winter capsule wardrobe consists of 35 pieces and it includes my active wear and lounge wear. I don't include my outerwear (winter jackets, toques/hats, mitts, boots, etc.) and I do not include my pajamas.
TOPS & DRESSES
Monday, 2 January 2023
New Year, Old Me
I decided that this year would be a year of coming back to myself. 2022 was consumed with taking care of my new baby, adjusting to life with 3 kids and being back to in-person schooling. It was definitely a learning curve, but there was a lot of joy and sweetness in my life. As our routines become slightly more predictable and as I learn the ropes of how to get 3 kids out of the door on time, I am ready to step out of survival mode and back into life. While survival mode is something that I suspect will happen throughout 2023, I am hopeful it won't be my main mode.
My word of the year for 2023 is restore. I want to re-establish good habits that have served me in my life. I want to start taking better care of myself again. I want to take time to do things that bring me joy and make me feel like myself. I want to create capsule wardrobes again and write in this blog.
I have a few goals for the year. The goals are as follows:
- Catch up on making our family photo books. I am 5 years behind. Enough said.
- Make time for intentional movement/strength training 3-5 days a week. This is so important for my mental health, but I wasn't able to do this well in 2022.
- Share the mental load. I carry almost all of the mental load associated with our 3 kids and (mostly due to some pretty rough sleep deprivation) I am becoming burnt out. My husband is a perfectly capable father and can handle taking over some of this mental load. He and I are discussing how to make this work.
- Have better sleep hygiene. Every time I complain about one of my children's penchant for procrastinating bedtime, I know that I should just look in the mirror. I like being up alone at night. I like having time to myself where no one needs me. I crave alone time. I am also exhausted. So. Very. Exhausted. The kindest thing I can do for myself is get more sleep when I can. I have set an alarm on my phone for 10:00 so that I get up and get ready for bed. My phone will also stop allowing me to scroll at this time. I plan to be in bed by 10:30.
Thursday, 2 September 2021
Simple Living: Entryway Organization
Getting out the door isn't always an easy task. I try my best to give myself enough time before I have to be somewhere. With all of the moving parts that come with being a Mom, one of the simplest solutions for getting out of the door on time is to make your entryway work for you. I love all the beautiful pictures online of people's mudrooms and giant foyer closets, but that is not my reality. My home's entryway is quite small. It has a small closet area (we removed the red accordion doors from the closet) and very little wall space. I know that others have smaller entryways than mine, so I hope that some of these solutions will be useful to you. My entryway organization is neat, tidy and functional. It really isn't beautiful, but I would choose function over beauty any day.
I came up with a few solutions for the entryway before summer. They have served us well. I needed to clean up the area and make sure that everything in the entryway was necessary and seasonally appropriate.
My husband installed three hooks for me. This gives my daughters a place to hang their jackets. They can both reach the hooks and be responsible for their own things. (Yay!)
- Ask yourself if the items in your entryway truly belong there. Can off-season shoes be stored somewhere else? Does your summer gear need to be taking up precious space when your kids are back to school in the fall?
- Worry less about whether something looks pretty and worry more about function. The shoe organizer isn't my favourite thing to look at but it is super functional and allows my kids to be independent.
- Make a habit (and help your kids make a habit) of putting things in their place. Give essential items a designated spot. My three-year old knows exactly where to find her hat, coat, and shoes. My keys are always in the same spot and so are my sunglasses. Getting out the door is much easier when you know exactly where your things are.
Thursday, 26 August 2021
Simple Living: Playroom
Tuesday, 24 August 2021
Wardrobe Wednesday- Summer Outfits
I was aiming to have a capsule wardrobe this summer, but I am having trouble maintaining a smaller capsule wardrobe with this pregnancy. I have had to purchase a few items because a lot of what I owned didn't fit anymore or it didn't feel good on me. I will get back to capsule wardrobes after Baby is born, I am sure. Until then, I am going to wear whatever feels comfortable. I wanted to share a few of my summer outfits with you. I found some great items at Mama Bear Maternity and Motherhood Maternity. I am also wearing a few items that I have had in previous pregnancies or that I swiped from my husband's side of the closet.